Delicious & Comforting Sweet Potato and Tomato Soup!
Sweet Potato: 250 Gms, Peeled and Coarsely Chopped
Water: 5 Cups
Garlic Cloves: 3-4 Finely Chopped
Medium Tomatoes: 4 Blanched and Peeled
Coriander: 2 Tablespoons Chopped
Bay Leaf: 1
Cinnamon: 1 Small Stick
Green Chili: 1 Mediuim-Sized, Chopped
Oil: 1 Teaspoon
Ginger: 1 Small Piece Minced
Pepper Powder:1/4 Teaspoon
Cumin Powder: 1/4Teaspoon
Salt: To taste
Juice of Half Lemon
There was a time when making soup meant tearing open a packet of packaged soup powder and preparing it according to the instructions. Don't remember how or when I started making soup from scratch but now it's been years since I bought one of those soup powders. Making your own soup is such a homely, comforting experience. Ditch the commercial stuff and make your own thick, creamy, flavorful soups that are full of nutrition and homemade goodness.
Starchy with a delicate buttery flavor, sweet potatoes are among the best veggies to add texture o home-made soups. Tomatoes give the soup it's vibrant color and add a tangly taste that perfectly complements the creaminess of the root-veggie. A super easy and nourishing soup to whip up on a rainy Saturday evening!
1. Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add the cinnamon stick and bay leaf.
2. Add the onion, garlic, ginger and green chilli. Cook on low heat for 3-4 minutes till onion turns translucent.
3. Add the sweet potato and 3 cups of water. Cook on high pressure for up to three whistles. The sweet potato should be tender.
4. Discard the cinnamon stick and bay leaf.
5. Blend the cooked sweet potato with the blanched tomatoes. Mix with the remaining 2 cups of water.
6. Bring the soup to a boil and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Season with salt, pepper powder and cumin powder. Garnish with coriander leaves.
7. Mix in the lemon juice just before serving.